When I got to work, I delved right into the mirror frame, beveled the pieces of American walnut wood and drilled holes, then hammered dowel pins into the holes (filled with glue) and glued all the pieces together. Next I clamped all the pieces, tightened the clamps until the pieces formed a rectangle, and left it to dry.
The next thing I did was cut oak pieces for a table apron. After cutting the pieces to the right length and width, I carved a groove along their entire length, and then sliced off part of the piece. These cuts are for gluing the apron pieces to the table surface edge.
Lately my work mainly focused on planing all of the remaining raw timber and moving it to storage. Most of the machines in the workshop create sawdust, but planing creates the most. To remove it, each machine is connected to an air duct, which sucks wood chips and dust, using a powerful engine, to a row of canvass bags outside. Usually we need to empty about one bag per couple of days. When planing raw timber, the bags fill up so fast we need to empty six bags every day until we’re done planing. This morning Danny and I went on a “walk” to empty all the bags.
Later I saw the finished African walnut coffee tables I made, and packed them in bubble wrap and cardboard for shipping.
Another thing I did today was make wooden rail supports. These pieces are screwed parallel to the metallic rails and perpendicular to the table surface. Simply put, they fasten the extension rails to the table. After cutting the supports to the right size, I cut the end of each at 30º using a model (in the picture below), and then drilled 3 holes in each piece (to fasten underneath the table surface). I finished the pieces by drilling a depression for each hole to sink the screws into.